In Geography, we intend to inspire children with a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people. Children will gain knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes. We intend to develop children’s competency in the geographical skills through the use of fieldwork, maps, diagrams, globes, aerial photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
- Inspire in children, a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives.
- Equip children with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
- Develop a growing knowledge about the world to deepen their understanding of the processes that give rise to the key physical and human geographical features of the world.
- Enable children to learn and explain how the Earth’s features at different scales are shaped, interconnected and change over time.
- Develop their knowledge of the location of places of global significance, their defining physical and human characteristics and how they relate to one another.
We teach our children to develop the geographical skills needed to:
- collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experiences of fieldwork that deepen their understanding of geographical processes.
- interpret a range of sources of geographical information, including maps, globes and aerial photographs.
- communicate geographical information in a variety of ways, including through maps and writing at length.
Assessment is ongoing and takes place after each completed unit and towards the end of the school year to assess and review pupil’s progress and attainment. These assessments will be drawn from teacher assessment and formative assessments based on their development of geographical skills.
Our curriculum maps are designed with both coverage and progression built in. This makes our curriculum dynamic, ever-changing and responsive to the children’s needs and learning styles.